The first act is to receive the ashes on your forehead (or on top of your head, as in Italy), made from last year\’s palms, to remind us of our mortality, frailty, and dependence upon God.
- Say a morning offering first thing in the morning (even before getting out of bed).
- Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet every day.
- Read a chapter or two of Scripture each day and try to memorize a verse (repeat it throughout the day).
- Go to daily Mass, if possible.
- Add 10 minutes of silent prayer to your day.
- Pray the Stations of the Cross each Friday.
- Pray the rosary each day.
- Pray for each person with whom you come in contact.
- Spend 10 minutes prayerfully thinking about the Scriptures for the day\’s Mass.
- Give up TV and movies, including online.
Give up salt, pepper, and condiments.
Give up eating between meals.
Give up social media.
Avoid phone use after 8 p.m.
Only get news from a printed source.
Give up listening to recorded music.
Give up taking pictures.
Give up the snooze button.
- Serve the poor once a week at a soup kitchen.
- Give away some of your nice clothes to those in need.
- Donate 10% of your income to the poor.
- Write one letter of gratitude to a different person each day.
- Give kind attention to one lonely or isolated person each day.
- Whenever you start to say something negative, say something positive instead.
- Visit the elderly or sick once a week